It was love at first smell when I attended a weekend intensive on essential oils in 1992. I’d been diagnosed with fibromyalgia after a whiplash injury 4 years earlier, and the workshop inspired me to start making massage oils and bath salts to address the constant pain and stress I experienced. Because I was pregnant and had a young child at home, I wanted everything to be safe for my family.
In 1996 I founded Earth Heart® Inc. to help others learn how to safely and effectively use herbs and essential oils as part of everyday life. For several years, products were developed for massage, skin, body and baby care – with family and friends as sometimes unwilling products testers!
I wrote a monthly column for a local health magazine, had a small holistic practice, developed and taught continuing and community education classes for 14 years, Aromatherapy for Bodyworkers at the community college for 8 years. My aromatherapy and herbal certifications are through Jeanne Rose Herbal & Aromatherapy Studies, and I’m a long-standing member of the Alliance of International Aromatherapists, American Herbalists Guild, and Women in the Pet Industry Network.
Things started to change in 1999 when I was approached by a kennel owner who wanted help with calming her canine visitors. The dogs missed their families and felt anxious, agitated, angry or depressed. The formula now known as Canine Calm was developed to diffuse in the kennel – and it helped from day one! Boarders noticed that their dogs were calmer when they left the kennel, and didn’t fret so much when it was time to go back. They asked how they could take that calming experience home with them, so I started making the Canine Calm mist. The other blends for dogs (which are also safe for their human and equine families) followed.
The Earth Heart line of canine products has been in the national marketplace since 2010, and I’m pleased that Earth Heart has built a reputation for designing safe, affordable and effective natural wellness remedies to help create happier, healthier lives. All products are made in the USA, formulated with 100% pure essential oils and other plant-based ingredients, packaged in BPA-free recyclable containers, safe and easy to use in your home, shelter, business and travels.
Some anthropologists believe the birth of human culture is marked with the advent of ritual. These ancient rituals can be traced back more than 5000 years. They included the burning of aromatic roots and woods for physical healing, and resins for spiritual healing. While ancient humans may have believed the ritual smoke simply carried their requests to the gods and goddesses who then sent them healings, these ritual fumigations released volatile oils in the plants with properties we know today as antiseptic, immune boosting, relaxing, and sometimes mind-altering.
Earth Heart® Inc. has been at the forefront of bringing this ancient tradition to modern users, formulating essential oil remedies since 1992. Whether through steam distillation, cold pressing or CO2 extraction, pure essential oils are generally more powerful than the botanicals from which they are extracted. Any time you hold a bottle of Earth Heart’s essential oil remedies, you are holding nature’s pure essence of health-promoting botanicals that can be diffused, inhaled, or applied topically when safely diluted in our aromatherapy mists, balms or wipes.
- Canine Calm wipes: 2017 Pet Age Readers’ Choice Award
- Travel Calm named a 2016 Inventory Essential by Pet Product News International.
- Pet Product News International designates Buzz Guard an Inventory Essential in 2015, 2014 & 2013.
- Women in the Pet Industry Network selects Vicki as a Finalist in the 2013 Woman of the Year, Solopreneur Category.
- 2012: Both Canine Calm and Travel Calm awarded Doggies & Stuff Best in Show.
- Animal Wellness Stamp of Approval is given to Travel Calm in 2012.
- Nonprofit Partner Program launches on Valentine’s Day 2012, providing dog-related organizations fundraising opportunities to help dogs in need.
- Buzz Guard receives the Animal Wellness Stamp of Approval in both 2012 & 2011; is named a 2011 Fave Find by Modern Dog Magazine, 2011 Animal Café & FIDO Friendly Top Product, and is nominated for 2011 Pet Product News International Retailers’ Top Pick Awards.
- 2011: Travel Calm named a Nashville Paw Magazine Product Pick, and highlighted at the New York Auto Show as part of a Bark Buckle Up Safe Travel
- City Dog Magazine lists Canine Calm as a 2011 Cool Spring Product.
- Travel Calm featured in Dog Fancy’s 2010 Travel issue.
- Guard Well named a 2010 FIDO Friendly Top 100 Best Dog Products and featured in Dog Fancy’s 2010 Senior Dog issue.
- Designated Trainer Proven Products for distribution through Pawmark’s online store, and Must-Have Summer Travel & Camping Gear by Canoe.ca Travel Magazine; received Pets Weekly Stamp of Approval; selected for the Raise a Green Dog Partner Program.
- Featured in pet trade magazines, including Pet Product News International, Veterinary Practice News, Pet Age, Groomer to Groomer, and Pet Business Magazine.
- Featured in many of the top consumer magazines, including Animal Wellness magazine, FIDO Friendly Magazine, Tails Inc., Dog Fancy, Modern Dog, Dogs Naturally Magazine, City Dog Magazine, Nashville Paw Magazine, AKC Family Dog, Natural Awakenings Pet, Lowcountry Dog Magazine, and more.
- Highlighted on noted dog blog sites, such as Raise A Green Dog, D
ogTipper.com, Animal Café & Co., Four Legged Life, Pets Weekly, Go Pet Friendly, Bark Buckle UP, Fidose of Reality, Doggies & Stuff, About.com, Champion of My Heart, Pet Health Examiner, Daily Kibble, Life With Dogs, Woof Woof Mama, Shaggy Dog Stories, Paw Prints The Magazine, and more.
- Interviewed for PackPeople.com, My Buddy Butch, Talkin’ with Pe
ts, My Doggie Says, Animal Radio Network’s Travel Talk with Susan Sims, NuBowWow.com’s webinar series, and Chicago 101.1 FM’s Animal House radio show.
- Contributions or commissioned articles published in Animal Wellness Magazine, Boat Safe USA, Mission Pets e-zine, Pet Product News International, Pet Age, Pet Business, and Calgary Dog Life.
- 2013-present: IJA Rescue Me Rodeos
- 2016: Anderson Animal Shelter PAWFest
- 2015: Lost Pet Prevention Month
- 2015: Team Toby Million Acts of Kindness Tour
- 2014: Team Toby Paws Across Canada
- 2013: Daily Kibble 26 Acts of Kindness
- 2012-2015: GoToRovers.com 5K Fun Run/Walk for Pets
- 2012: Fidose of Reality Cross Country Tour: Animal House Shelter PAWFest
- 2011-2016: Animal World USA Weeks for the Animals
- Alliance for International Aromatherapists (AIA)
- American Herbalists Guild (AHG)
- Pet Industry Wholesalers (PIW)
- Ohio Etiological Food & Farm Association (OEFFA)
- Airmid Institute